Evans Cycles are proud of our Green credentials. We have been a member of the Green Achiever Scheme since 2008 and have been continuously working to reduce our impact on the environment as a company as well as finding ways to support our customers in being Green.
This is the fourth year that we have produced a Self Declaration of Environmental Commitment and have achieved a 4-star rating for the actions we’re taking to include:-
Evans Cycles as a Company:-
Have identified and are compliant with all environmental legislation relevant to our business activities and currently reduce our impact on the environment by:-
- Using green energy generated from renewable sources such as wind farms.
- Reducing our energy and resource use by insulating all new stores and Head Office; using e-invoicing and buying recycled cardboard and packaging.
- Implementing a system for recycling a wide range of waste streams including paper, batteries, tyres, printer toners and fluorescent lamps. We also sell or donate unwanted IT equipment and redundant supplies.
- Reducing our energy consumption through various means including putting timers on heaters and installing lighting control sensors.
- Encouraging car-sharing and Ride2Work schemes for employees and use of public transport.
- Ensuring a purchasing policy which considers the environmental impact of our decisions, so we purchase recycled materials and biodegradable cleaning supplies.
- Auditing suppliers to demonstrate their environmental credentials.
For Our Customers:-
- We organise bike trade-ins whereby customers get a discount for bringing in their old bicycles. These are passed on to a charity that makes them fit for use to get them back out into the community.
- We encourage recycling wherever possible and under the Waste Battery Regulations, Evans Cycles are now offering a take back scheme for all portable waste batteries. Customers can return their waste batteries to our Head Office in person (please do not post) or they can drop them off into any of our stores where we arrange correct disposal.
- With proof of purchase our customers can return old or worn tyres and inner tubes where they have been replaced.
- Evans Cycles do not have an obligation to take back waste electrical items as we are part of the Distributor Take Back Scheme (DTS). Specific information on local recycling centres can be found in store. Alternatively visit www.recyclenow.com.
- Evans Cycles are members of the Ride2Work Scheme and organises events, such as our RideIt! organised rides, to encourage people to get out and cycle.
Evans Cycles are already demonstrating a significant reduction in our environmental impact and over the next 12 months we are committed to a programme of improvement by continuing to monitor and enforce the above initiatives.
This story was last updated on 26/03/2014