Kids get excited about cycling from a young age. Why not fit a child seat and take them on your own adventures?
I feared having kids would mean leaving my bike to gather dust in the garage for the next 18 years.
Admittedly, I can’t spend as much time whiling away the hours on the open roads as I used to, but it’s a different kind of adventure now as my little one comes along for the ride.
A child seat secures easily to a seat tube or rack mounting, letting youngsters enjoy the fresh air and catch the cycling bug early.
Age and weight
Most kids bike seats are designed for children between the ages of about 9 months and 4 years. Weight is also a variable, although lots of rear seats offer a huge range, from 9-22kg.
Position on the bike
– Rear-fitting seats are the most common. They fit over the back wheel and are very safe, with a high back, leg guards and harness. The downside is you can’t see what your child is up to while you’re cycling.
– Centre-mounted seats tend to come with a cross bar (to go between the head and seat tube) so aren’t dependent on a straight top tube.
– Front-fitting seats enable your child to see more and talk to you more easily, but you’re limited by weight, age and length of journey.
Not all bikes are designed to accommodate child seats. A small women’s frame could be a problem with a rear seat as the weight of your child might touch the rear wheel when going over bumps. However, our friends at Hamax have got round this with a specific bracket.
Road bikes, or bikes with drop bars, aren’t usually suitable for mounting child seats because of the tube shape, and carbon frames are best avoided. Care also needs to be taken with rack or mudguard compatibility.
Some product highlights
Centre-mounted child seat – Because of its central position, the WeeRide Safefront Deluxe gives good stability and a good view. It fits all bikes except those with drop bars or a frame under 16in.
– Suitable for children aged between 9 months and 4 years
Rear child seat – The Hamax Caress is a top quality seat from a respected Scandinavian manufacturer that’s easy to use with lots of well thought-out features. These include an adjustable sleeping position and safety indicators to give you peace of mind that the seat has been fitted correctly. The Caress is also available with rack adaptor.
– Suitable for children aged between 9 months and 6 years (or 22kg).
>> Check out the Evans Cycles website for more child seats to suit all budgets. <<